Sometimes eosinophil precursors retain some cytoplasmic basophilia. This tends to deepen the appearance of the cytoplasmic staining and sometimes gives it a "muddy" look. Both early eosinophilic myeolocytes here illustrate this point and sometimes the "blue background" is even more pronounced.
- 1 = early eosinophilic myelocytes with many eosinophilic (specific granules)
- 2 = neutrophilic myeolocytes - early - still with many azurophilic (nonspecific) granules
- 3,4 = neutrophilic metamyelocytes
- 5 = late neutrophilic band
- 6 = mature neutrophil
- 7 = early basophilic erythroblast